Wednesday, June 19, 2013

D's Sunflower Rag Rug

    Twice a month a group of awesome ladies gather at my local Library to crochet, knit, exchange patterns, and most importantly....share stories. I consider this time to be my free therapy.  I love these ladies! We are from all different ages and walks of life, but we all love to create things with yarn.
    Last time we met, I had no choice but to take my little girls with me. Don't get me wrong here, I love my girls and I love my time with them, but Mommy needs her break time!!!
   Usually to begin these very informal meetings, everyone shows off what they have been working on. My friend Delyn had been making Minion hats (based on the movie despicable me.) My girls love that movie, and so Zayda immediately put on a hat and claimed it as her own. Being the generous friend that she is, Delyn insisted that she could have it and wouldn't give me a real answer about how much money she intended to sell them for.  So at about 11:30 PM, while I was laying in bed not sleeping because my brain doesn't want to quit for the night, I decided to make something for Delyn in return. I remembered that she loves sunflowers, and since I have been making so many rag rugs lately, Boom....and Idea.....So here it is!

Sunflower Rag Rug Pattern

I used a  crochet hook size N 15/10mm

If you haven't worked with rags to crochet before, see my post about preparing them HERE!


with brown rags, chain 4, slip stitch in 1st chain you made to form a ring.

round 1: chain 3, make 11 double crochets into ring, slip stitch in top of chain 3 to join.
round 2: Chain 3, make 2 double crochets in each space around, working in back loop only, slip stitch in top of chain 3 to join
round3: chain 3, * double crochet in first space, 2 double crochets in next space (all only in back loops)*, repeat from the * all the way around, slip stitch in top chain to join.
round 4: chain 3, *double crochet in first space, double crochet in next space, 2 double crochets in next space (all in back loops only)*, repeat from the * around, slip stitch in top chain to join.
round 5: Switch to yellow rags
chain 3, * one double crochet in each of first three spaces, two double crochets in next space (all in back loop only)* , repeat from * around, slip stitch in top chain to join.
round 6: chain 6, single crochet in first space, * chain 6, skip a space, single crochet in next space*, repeat from * around,  join with a slip stitch to 1st chain.
round 7: slip stitch your way to the top of the 1st chain 6 space, *chain 2, single crochet in the next chain 6 spot* , repeat from the * around, join with slip stitch.
round 8: chain 3, *2 double crochets in chain 2 space, 2 double crochets in single crochet space, 2 double crochets in chain 2 space, 1 double crochet in single crochet space* repeat from the * around, slip stitch to join
round 9: chain 6, single crochet in 1st space, *chain 6, skip a space and single crochet in next space*, repeat from the * around, slip stitch to join.
round 10: slip stitch your way to the top of the chain 6 space, * chain 2, single crochet in the next chain 6 space*, repeat from the * around, slip stitch to join.
round 11: *chain 4, single crochet in the single crochet space*, repeat from the * around, slip stitch to join.
weave in loose ends and you're done!
My finished rug measured about 22 inches across, if you want a bigger rug, just add more rounds.
Kitty approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment